Guide on How to Become a Registered Member of SSS

For those who are wondering, and will be their first time looking for a job, become an employee and enter the work force, Social Security System (SSS) is one of the government mandated benefits of the Philippine Government for the Filipino employee.

To quote from Republic Act No. 1161


But before you can reap the benefits, you must have to become a SSS member first.

For prospective employee, below are the steps on how you can become a member of SSS.

1. Go to the SSS office that covers your vicinity, or the nearest SSS office near you. You can find the address of SSS branch offices by following this link.

2. Request and accomplish an E1 form to be submitted to the SSS personnel. You can also print and submit the E1 form available online through the SSS website.

Here are the documents you must have available when you go to the SSS office:

Primary Documents (only ONE is required):
  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card
  • Seaman’s Book
Secondary Documents (in the absence of primary documents, submit TWO of the following):
  • Alien Certificate of Registration
  • ATM card with the cardholder’s name
  • ATM card and certification from the issuing bank that the account number belongs to the cardholder, if the card does not bear the cardholder’s name
  • Bank Account Passbook
  • Birth/Baptismal Certificate of children
  • Certificate from:
    • Office of the Southern/Northern Cultural Communities
    • Office of Muslim Affairs
  • Certificate of Licensure/Qualification Document/Seafarer’s ID & Record Book from the Maritime Industry Authority
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the Bureau of Immigration
  • Company ID
  • Company Representative Authorization Card issued by SSS
  • Credit Card
  • Fisherman’s Card issued by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)
  • GSIS Card/Certificate of Membership
  • Health or Medical Card
  • ID card issued by Local Government Units (e.g.Barangay/Municipality/City)
  • ID card issued by professional organizations recognized by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC)
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Marriage contract
  • Membership card issued by private companies
  • NBI Clearance
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) card
  • Pag-Ibig Member’s Data Form
  • Permit to carry firearms issued by the Firearms & Explosives Unit of the Philippine National Police (PNP)
  • PHIC Member’s Data Record
  • Police Clearance
  • Postal ID card
  • School ID
  • Seafarer’s Registration Certificate issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA)
  • Senior Citizen Card
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN) Card
  • Temporary license and Student Permit issued by the Land
  • Transportation Office (LTO)
  • Transcript of School Records
  • Voter’s Identification Card/Affidavit

You must bring certified copy or original to be authenticated by the SSS personnel.

A married person should also submit a marriage contract upon registration. If with reported legitimate children, the birth or baptismal certificate/s of child/ren; if with reported legitimated child/ren, birth certificate with annotation “legitimated;” if with reported legally adopted child/ren, decree of adoption. If reporting illegitimate children, birth or baptismal certificate(s) of children. In the absence of both, any of the following stating the relationship to the reported dependent/beneficiary:

  • School Record
  • Insurance Policy
  • Statement before a court

The original or certified true copies of the documents should be presented to the SSS for authentication purposes.